Butterscotch Bread Pudding
- For sauce: 1 lb Dark Brown Sugar
- For sauce: 1 lb Light Brown Sugar
- For sauce: 1/2 lb Butter
- For sauce: 1-1/2 qt Heavy Cream
- For sauce: 1 Vanilla Bean
- For sauce: 1 tbsp Salt
- For sauce: 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 loaf Brioche (Red Hen)
- 4 cups Heavy Cream
- 4 cups Half and Half
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 12 Eggs
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Homemade Butterscotch Sauce
- In a pot melt dark brown sugar, light brown sugar, and butter and bring to boil.
- After boiling add heavy cream, vanilla beans, salt and pepper.
- After all ingredients are added bring to a boil.
- Strain through a chinois and chill.
- Preheat oven to 180°F.
- Dice brioche into 1” cubes. Place on a Culinary Parchment Paper lined baking sheet and slightly toast in the oven for about 30 minutes, making sure the brioche doesn’t change color.
- Set toasted brioche aside.
- Raise oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a pot, bring heavy cream, half and half and vanilla bean to a boil.
- Off the heat mix the sugar and dark brown sugar, then temper in the eggs.
- Strain the mixture through a chinois, and add the butterscotch sauce.
- Cover the toasted brioche with the creamy liquid and let soak for 20 minutes.
- Portion brioche mixture into oven-safe serving containers; add butterscotch to the top of each.
- Bake on a sheet pan with water at 350°F until set.